Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Spaulding Mtn (4,010 ft) & Sugarloaf Mtn (4,250 ft) 6-29-14

Distance: 9.853 mi.
Elevation: 2,119 ft (overall) 3,499 ft (total)
Time: 3:32 (Spaulding) 5:22 (Sugarloaf) 7:51 (total)
Trails: Appalachian Trail, Spaulding Side Trail, Sugarloaf Mtn Trail

Today's hike started in the exact same spot as yesterday's. Only this time I would be heading south from the road crossing and not north. The trail starts with a short downhill to the river. The crossing of this was mostly a rock hop aided also by a plank between the biggest gap. The plank is attached to the rocks by a cable so that it can't be easily washed down stream. Safely across the river, the trail mostly parallels it while slowly go uphill as well. Soon, it turns left and starts to climb. The climb isn't too bad, that will come soon. Before long you work across a side hill and the trail then turns to go straight up the hill briefly. You then side hill the other direction before turning straight up again. This part is longer, rockier, and steeper. It's the steepest part of the day.

River Crossing

Steepest part of the trail

After this steep climb, the trail goes back to a more manageable grade. Not too steep, but not too flat either. Walking through here I stopped for a picture of a snack getting some sun. Just as I put my camera away though, a rabbit came hopping down the trail, turning back when he saw me and before I could get the camera back out. You will also come out of the trees and into the scrub for a bit here as you walk along the edge of a cirque in the mountain. There are some nice views from here, including of all the peaks I hiked yesterday. The trail continues as it was and eventually flattens out a bit more. There are some small brooks through here, but nothing tricky to worry about. The only difficult spot has probably the most elevated bog bridge I have ever seen going over it. Soon you get to the junction with the Sugarloaf Mtn Trail. I wanted to save the views for last, so I kept going on the way to Spaulding.

Part of the trail after the cirque

The walk along the ridge is pretty easy. Not much up or down until you get closer to Spaulding Mtn. There are a few ups and downs, but I hardly even considered them to be PUDs. At one point, you will come across a large rock next to the trail with a sign about the last part of the AT being cut in this area. Nearing Spaulding, the trail has a short steep section with good footing before it turns to the right some and makes the climb easier. You'll go like this for a bit until you hit the junction with the short and steep side trail to the summit. The summit has a small view at the high spot, but there is a better view back to Sugarloaf if you follow the path to the left (as you come up to the sign).

Following the ridge

Plaque

View to Sugarloaf

After a nice break, I decided the annoying flies were enough and I headed out. The hike back to the Sugarloaf Mtn Trail was easy and straight forward. Again, this trail starts out a bit steep and rocky as it leaves the AT. Before long though, it becomes more gradual and starts to go across the mountain some as well as up. I was going a bit slow through here because it seemed to be getting warm and a bit humid, but there wasn't much if any wind. After a spring and a couple other wet spots, you come out of the trees onto the edge of the ski area roads. The trail goes straight in front of you with some paint marking and cairns, but you are so close to the summit you can easily head to the high spot. I walked around the summit some and eventually picked a spot in the shade to have a snack and drink some more. While here I met a group that included someone from Maine, another from Texas, and a third from South Carolina. I think they were 3 generations of family, but the home states was quite the collection. While the views from the summit are great, I have to admit the buildings, towers, and roads take away from it some. Maybe it would help if everything looked like it were in nicer shape like on Mt. Washington.

Bigelow Range from Sugarloaf

Spaulding and Abraham

Crockers and Redington

The hike back down went as expected and was pretty uneventful. The steep section was a bit tricky to navigate, but could easily be done with a bit of care. As I got further down I started looking forward to the river crossing. I was getting pretty warm and was looking forward to splashing some cold water on myself and dunking my head right in. Honestly it would have been a good time for a swim, but I didn't have the right gear with me for doing that.

Along the edge of the cirque

Elevated bog bridge

Once back at the car, I started talking to another hiker that was getting ready to head up to the Crocker Cirque Tent Site. We got discussing where we are both from, and it turns out he lives about 20 minutes from me. I'm 5 hours away from home and run into the one person that actually knows the small town I am talking about when I say where I am from.

Today I saw one of the more unusual trail snacks I have ever seen, but only because it seemed like an odd combination. I came across 2 southbound thru hikers that were making a peanut butter and peanut M&M wrap. I said something about it and one of the responses was "the M&Ms give it some crunch." It certainly seems like good fuel, but wasn't something I would have thought of.

I had planned to hike Mt. Abraham tomorrow from Rapid Stream Road, but after this hike I decided I was too tired and the weather was supposed to be even warmer and more humid. I didn't put it into the hike for today mainly due to the extra distance and elevation gain it would have added. It would have made for a bit of a late day doing all three as an out and back. I guess I'll just have to come back one more time to get that one.

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment