Friday, December 5, 2014

Mt. Moosilauke (4,802ft) 9-8-12

Distance: 6.65 mi
Elevation: 2,286 ft
Time: 4:43 total
Trails: Gorge Brook Trail

For my second trip up Mt. Moosilauke, I signed up to hike with a group for flags on the 48 (FOT48). Having a limited view the last time I was on this open summit, I was hoping to come back and have better luck this time. I had also hiked as a spectator for FOT48 the last two years and thought I should join a group and help fly a flag this time. I choose my group based on the peak I wanted to do. I didn't know any of these people ahead of time, but they turned out to be a great group.

We divided up the flag gear and started out at our planned time. The trail was pretty easy going with no major obstacles or steep portions. We took a few breaks along the way to rest and take in the views of the inside of clouds. Part of the lower portion of trail had recently been rerouted away from the river. This section was a bit wet and soft being so new, but that was the worst of the bad conditions today.

The weather turned out bad for views (completely cloudy), but good for flying a flag with strong winds that kept our flag out straight the entire time. We didn't dare use the pole extension with the strong winds. Even without it though, there was no risk of the flag touching the ground thanks to the wind. There ended up being a fair amount of hikers coming to the summit while we were there based on the weather, but not as many as if it were a nice day.

With the chance of an afternoon shower coming, we packed up right at 2 pm when the flag could come down. We set a good pace on the decent, and were at the cars loading gear when the rain finally did come. The group of hikers were great and they have a good sense of humor. I'll try to be hiking with them again next year.

Most of our group on the way up

First view point

Coming up to treeline

Putting up the flag

The flag flying

As good as the view got

Back to the bottom

For all of the photos, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment