Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Mt. Willard (2,865 ft) 11-10-12

Distance: 3.096 mi.
Elevation: 984 ft.
Time: 1:57
Trails: Avalon Trail, Mt. Willard Trail

The second hike for today would be another from the 52 With a View list, Mt. Willard in Crawford Notch. While coming down from the Sugarloafs earlier, the morning clouds had started to clear. While driving down route 302, I was able to get some good views of the Presidential Range. Once into the notch, I parked at the Crawford Depot in one of the few open spots. Then I put some of my gear back on and headed out.

View on Route 302

You start out on the Avalon Trail, but quickly come to the intersection with the Mt. Willard Trail. To start there were a few wet sections with small brooks that seem to be flowing by.. Soon you start to gain elevation and get away from this. The trail passes by Centennial Pool, a small cascade and pool in the brook next to the trail.

Centennial Pool

The trail heading up

The trail keeps a pretty constant incline which isn't to hard and seems to follow an old woods road or horse path. As you near the summit though, the trail levels out for the most part. Before too much longer you come out of the trees to the viewpoint that overlooks almost the entire notch below.

Crawford Notch

Southern Presidential Range

Willey Brook Bridge down below

There were quite a few people out on the mountain today, but there was still plenty of space. As I explored the open rocks, I found out some of them can be slippery when my feet slipped out from under me and I slid down them. Luckily it was to some trees on the side rather than off the edge of the large cliff face.

On the way back down I found the Hitchcock Flume Spur that was on the map I have and started to follow it. It doesn't seem to be maintained, and with the snow on the trees, I was getting a lot on me. Not wanting to get soaked from melting snow, I turned around and decided I might come back some other time to explore this route.

The trail leaving the summit

For more pictures of the hike, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment