Friday, December 26, 2014

Extended Presidential Traverse 8-21-14 thru 8-23-14

DAY 1

Distance: 9.41 mi.
Elevation: 3,207 ft (overall) 4,958 ft (total)
Time: 2:35 (Jackson) 4:12 (Pierce) 5:16 (Eisenhower 6:50 (Hut)
Trails: Webster-Jackson Trail, Webster Cliff Trail, Crawford Path, Eisenhower Loop

Having done a Presidential Traverse before from the north, I decided this one would be from the south. I would also throw in an out and back hike of Mt. Isolation on day two of the hike, making the actual Presidential portion 2 days of the hike. This would be a great way for me to get 9 peaks done in 3 days to help me on my goal of the New England 67 in one year.

I parked the car near the Highland Center and started off of the Webster-Jackson Trail. Knowing today would be a significant amount of elevation gain anyways, I opted to not hit Mt. Webster on the way. Everything went smoothly on the climb up to the summit of Mt. Jackson where I saw my first hikers of the day. A pair of thru-hikers that were trying to figure out which trail went which way. I helped them out, and they were on their way.

The hike to Mizpah hut was quick and easy. Shortly before the hut though, I came around a corner to see a family of Ruffed Grouse on the edge of the trail. I stopped and backed up some so I could get a picture. Once I did that and they settled back down, I tried to go past them on the other side of the trail. I hope they get a bit more timid of humans in the future. After a quick rest stop at the hut, it was up the short climb to Mt. Pierce.

After Pierce, I was off up the range to next get Mt. Eisenhower. As the way up the Eisenhower Loop Trail, it started to lightly rain. I could see the rain building around me, but it didn't look heavy in either direction. Once at the summit it was just enough to warrant putting on my rain coat. With the light rain and the fact that I think the summit of Eisenhower is a bit boring (bald, smooth and rounded, and with only a summit cairn for features), I only spent enough time here to talk to a couple hikers and take a few pictures.

I was headed for the Lakes of the Clouds Hut now. Having not been on the Crawford Path around the summit of Mt. Monroe, I went that way. Allowing me to check in at the hut and drop off some gear if I decided to hike Monroe this afternoon. Once at the at I did just that and went back outside for a bit. I was thinking about doing the quick climb up Monroe, but decided that since it was still raining off and on that it wouldn't be worth doing tonight. I headed back inside, put on some dry clothes, and talked with some other hikers (including the two thru-hikers I saw on Mt. Jackson).

Early section of trail

Today's trek seen from Mt. Jackson

Family of Ruffed Grouse next to the trail

View from Pierce

Light rain on the summit of Eisenhower

Coming to the hut

DAY 2

Distance: 10.3 mi.
Elevation: 432 ft (overall) 3,429 ft (total)
Time: 2:52 (Isolation) 6:08 (Hut) 6:25 (Monroe) 6:43 (Hut)
Trails: Crawford Path, Camel Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur, Monroe Loop

The plan for today was to head out from the hut over towards Boott Spur and then down to Mt. Isolation, then come back the same route. I would then make the quick hike up Mt. Monroe as well. The route started off on the Camel Trail. You can tell is it used less than some others in the area, but it was still easy to follow. After some gradual climbing and a quick pass though a clump of trees, the trail gets up to the Davis Path.

I headed out the Davis Path towards Boott Spur and into the clouds. Just before Boott Spur, the trail turns right and heads down to Montalban Ridge. Before long you start to duck back into the trees. This area saw some heavy damage during Tropical Storm Irene a few years ago, but it was all cleaned up by now. The trail was pretty easy going.

Once down to the Isolation Trail, it becomes a pretty gradual ridge walk to get to the Mt. Isolation Spur. Through here I came across another Ruffed Grouse. This one was more timid of humans than yesterday's, but kept flying down the trail rather than ducking into the trees.

Once at the Spur for Mt. Isolation, I headed up the short and steep trail. The summit was completely socked in with clouds and there was absolutely no view. This was a shame since there is a great one here. After a change of socks, it was time to head back out the way I came. The climb up to Boott Spur was different since normally the climbing is at the start of the hike, but it went pretty easy. Once up on the ridge, views were even more limited than before. I could only see one or maybe two cairns ahead on the trail at best. Good thing it's easy to follow through here.

Once back to the hut, I adjusted gear quickly and made the short climb up to Mt. Monroe. It went quick and provided the same socked in view that I had on Mt. Isolation. After a few quick photos, I headed back down the trail to the hut again.

At the hut I put on dry clothes and grabbed a book to read. While reading, I couldn't shake a chill I had developed. While hiking I was warm enough, but the cool temps and constant moisture from being in the clouds had caught up with me. After laying under my blanket for a while still with the chill, I finally went and drank a couple cups of hot chocolate and that seemed to do the trick and warmed me back up.

Camel Trail

Davis Path

Mt. Isolation summit

Limited visibilty near Boott Spur

Mt. Monroe summit

DAY 3

Distance: 13.3 mi.
Elevation: 1,328 ft (overall) 3,888 ft (total)
Time: 1:04 (Washington) 3:10 (Jefferson) 4:56 (Adams) 6:25 (Madison) 8:48 (Trail head)
Trails: Crawford Path, Trinity Heights Connector, Gulfside Trail, Six Husbands Trail, Mt. Jefferson Loop, Lowes Path, Star Lake Trail, Osgood Trail, Valley Way

For the last day of this trip, the plan was to leave the hut in the morning and hike over all the peaks in the northern presidentials to the Appalachia trail head. After a filling breakfast and topping of the fluids in my pack, it was time to head out. The hike up Mt. Washington went will with a good trail to climb. It was still early so there was no line of people at the summit sign when I got there. So I grabbed a photo and headed inside for a bit. After enjoying the great views for a bit, I knew I needed to head out. So down the trail I went.

Just after passing the cog tracks, I could hear the steam train coming up just about to crest the section of mountain nearby. I quickly got to where I could take a picture. After heading back down the trail, two diesel trains came up as well. Looks like it will be a busy day for the trains and at the summit. While I know Mt. Clay has an awesome view into the Great Gulf, I went around the back side to hit a section of trail I haven't before and to save some effort.

I then worked up the trail towards Mt. Jefferson. At the loop trail junction I continued straight to start going around in order to get more trails I haven't been on yet. I used the upper section of the Six Husbands Trail to get up to the summit. It was getting a bit cloudier at this point, but the views were still good.

From here it was the quick descent of Jefferson to the long gradual ascent of Mt. Adams. This portion went smoothly, even though I was getting a bit tired at this point in the 3 day hike. I made a stop at Thunderstorm Junction, and then headed for the summit. Adams is my favorite of the northern presidentials, but this trip to the summit was ruined somewhat by a group of younger kids that decided burning some trash and tree bark right at the summit was a better way to keep warm than bringing the right gear (hint: it isn't). The leader of their group also didn't follow through when he told them to put it out (and he should have had them better prepared).

So after a shorter visit than planned to Mt. Adams, I headed down the steep Star Lake Trail towards the hut. The trail is steep and a bit rocky, but I made good time down. At the hut I took a break and grabbed some more fluids. I was getting even more tired by this point, so I actually thought about skipping Mt. Madison. But since I was doing well on time and I didn't want to make a trip back up here for just this peak, I slowly made my way up. The trail isn't overly hard, I was just tired and a bit slow. Once at the summit, I was glad I didn't skip it. I enjoyed my time up there and called my wife to see where she was since she would be meeting me at the trail head.

After more views and resting, I headed back to the hut to then head down the Valley Way Trail. It was hard to keep going past the hut as the Thanksgiving style meal they were cooking looked and smelled real good. The hike down went well. The trail is a bit steep in it's higher sections, but it gets easier as you descend. Even knowing how long the trail was, it did seem to take longer than I would have expected. Once at the trail head it was just a matter of waiting for my wife to show up. We'd have something to eat in Gorham before driving back to my car and then heading home.

Headed up Washington with scattered clouds

View from Mt. Washington

Steam cog headed up

Adams from Jefferson

Madison from Adams

Looking back from Madison

Google Earth representation of the 3 day hike

TOTALS
Distance: 33.01 mi.
Elevation Gain: 12,275 ft (total)
Time: 25:41

The hike was fun and I'm glad I did it the way I did. I've now done both directions and can use that for future planning reference. The weather could have been better, but given it was the Presidential Range, it also could have been much worse. I saved some weight in my pack on this hike versus my Pemi-Loop hike, but I still need to get lighter when doing long treks like this. Hikes like this just give me more respect for those that can do them in a single day.

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment