Friday, December 26, 2014

Mt. Katahdin, Baxter Peak (5,267 ft) 9-8-14

Distance: 10.105 mi.
Elevation: 4,161 ft (overall) 4,376 ft (total)
Time: 5:47 (Baxter Peak) 9:25 (total)
Trails: Hunt Trail, Baxter Peak Cutoff, Saddle Trail

My plan for hiking the four thousand footers in Baxter State Park was to do one long weekend in the park. Being 6.5 hours from home, this would cut down on driving substantially. I was going to stay at Katahdin Stream Campground in the park. On day one my plan was to would hike Mt. Katahdin hitting both Hamlin Peak and Baxter Peak. Well, that WAS the plan.

Bridge

Katahdin Stream Falls

Starting from the campground on the Hunt Trail (the northern end of the AT), it was a gentle warm up. The trail is pretty smooth and gradually gains a bit of elevation. Before long you pass the trail to The Owl and then cross over the stream on a bridge. There is an outhouse here as well giving you one last sheltered bathroom break spot. From here, the trail starts the real climbing. It's not difficult to start, but it does mark the last of the easy stuff. Soon you pass the impressive Katahdin Stream Falls where are right next to the trail. And a short distance after that, you are rewarded with your first views of the day.

After this, things get more challenging. Sections of trail get steeper at times, and large rocks become more frequent. Sometimes you can go around, but in many place you must go over. As you come out of the trees, you come to even more boulders. In a few places there are metal rungs or handholds to help you up and over. Not as many as I expected though from past descriptions. It can seem daunting, but I didn't find anything through here to be dangerous nerve wracking. I even skipped a bypass that I didn't even notice while taking the more direct route.

View above treeline

Climb up the Gateway to the Table Lands

Next you come up to a level section just before the climb up through the Gateway. This is a great spot for views and a break. It does show you just how much steep rocky climbing you have left though. Coming up the Gateway is tricky at times. While rock climbing experience isn't needed, it wouldn't hurt. It's helpful to be able to pick out a route ahead of time and know how to pull yourself up. This was probably the hardest and slowest part of the climb, but it was still fun. Once at the top it was time for another well deserved break.

Hamlin Peak from Saddle Trail

From here to the top, just going over the Tablelands would be an easy finish to the summit with gradual terrain. My plan was to head over the Baxter Peak Cutoff though and head towards Hamlin Peak first. On the way over this trail, I was starting to feel tired from the steep climbs so far. It also felt a bit warm in the exposed sun. The trail itself though was pretty easy with only a few places where you need to hop between rocks. Once at the Saddle Trail, I sat down in the shade of a large rock there. Feeling the effects of the hike so far, I spent nearly 20 minutes resting and debating if I wanted to do the hike over to Hamlin and back. I finally decided that if I was taking this long to make up my mind, I shouldn't do it and should just save my energy for the tricky descent.

On the way up to Baxter Peak, I ran through different scenarios that could get me up Hamlin Peak without needing another trip to Baxter State Park, but non of them were going to work if I still wanted to get North Brother tomorrow. So after settling on the fact that I would another trip up here, I enjoyed the view from the summit and rested for a while. The Knife Edge certainly looks impressive from here and I feel I'll be back some time to hike it.

Baxter Peak summit

Knife Edge

Coming down through the boulders

Taking my time and picking my route carefully, the descent down the mountain went smoothly. I passed one northbound thru-hiker who was about to finish his trip from GA, but didn't know it until I saw him back down in the campground. Once back to my campsite it was nice to cook up some supper and rest in front of the fire. It was good not needing to drive anywhere after the hike, but a shower would have been nice too.

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment