Thursday, December 11, 2014

Cannon Mtn. (4,100 ft) 6-15-13

Distance: 5.491 mi.
Elevation: 2,359 ft.
Time: 5:07
Trails: Lonesome Lake Trail, Hi-Cannon Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail, Around Lonesome Lake Trail

With Cannon Mtn. being the first 4,000 footer I hiked, it had been a while since I was here. Today my plan was to hike a similar route as last time to start, but then a different route down that would hopefully include the Northeast Cannonball on the way.

I started up the Lonesome Lake Trail from Lafayette Place Campground like I did last time. This time I turned off at the start of the Hi-Cannon Trail though as opposed to going to Lonesome Lake first. The trail gets a bit steep in places from here, but includes some small switchbacks to make it easier. There is also some interesting terrain and boulders that you go past.

After passing the Dodge Cut Off, it was familiar trail again. The trail passes by a tree I didn't notice my last time here. It appears to have been partially blown over, but is still alive and doing well. The roots that pulled up partially formed a small jail cell like hole under the tree. The trail soon starts to work across the side hill over more rocky terrain. Before long though, the trail turns uphill and comes to the wooden ladder. Just after the ladder is a great view down over Lonesome Lake from a rocky outcropping. After this, the trail gets a little bit easier before leveling off quite a bit as it works to the summit.

Jail cell tree base

Ladder

View over Lonesome Lake

Summit view

After taking in the views and talking with some other people, it was time to head back down the trail. I headed down the Kinsman Ridge Trail towards the Cannonballs. This trail is steep as others have said, but wasn't too difficult. One side hill section over a narrow section of large rocks looks like it would be tricky with snow or ice on the ground.

Rocky side hill section of trail

Once I got to the intersection with the Lonesome Lake Trail, I checked the time. I had to be home at a certain time for father's day supper at my parents. I didn't look like I would quite have the time to climb the short distance to the Northeast Cannonball. So instead I headed down towards Lonesome lake and would just have a bit more time there to enjoy the loop around the back and the hut. The hike down went smooth and quick with quite a few other people headed up.

View from Lonesome Lake

For all pictures from the hike, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment