Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mt. Waumbek (4,006 ft) 8-23-12

Distance: 6.59 mi.
Elevation: 2,428 ft (overall) 2,756 ft (total)
Time: 5:28
Trails: Starr King Trail

For the first peak on my second round the 48, I choose to hike Mt. Waumbek with my wife. We were headed up north for the weekend anyways, so it seemed like a good idea to take one more day off and hike this mountain on the way up. I choose Mt. Waumbek since it isn't that far out of the way for our planned route and because it would be an easier peak for my wife's first 4K.

The hike went well with no real difficulties. The trail is never very steep or difficult. It was however quite humid today and this made the hike a bit slower and made us sweat more. It also caused the views to bit more hazy than the last time I was here.

All in all it was a good hike. With the hazy views it was a good day to notice some of the smaller things on the trail, as you can see in some of the photos I took. Hopefully it was fun enough that my wife is willing to follow me up more 4Ks after this.

Indian Pipe found along the trail

Chimney on Mt. Starr King

Trail leading over to Mt. Waumbek

View from Waumbek

Melissa's First 4,000 footer

Coming back down the mountain

Remains of the old spring house

For pictures of the entire hike, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment