Monday, December 15, 2014

Mt. Pemigewasset (2,582 ft) 1-5-14

Distance: 3.357 mi. (trails) 1.172 mi. (road) 4.529 mi. (total)
Elevation: 1,221 ft (overall) 1,661 ft (total)
Time: 2:32 (trails) 2:56 (total)
Trails: Bike Path, Mt. Pemigewasset Trail, Indian Head Trail

After plans for a larger hike didn't happen, I decided to get something in and picked this smaller hike to one of 52 With A View on trails I've never been on. I parked at the Flume Gorge Visitor Center and grabbed some gear. After talking with someone who just came down, I left the snowshoes in the truck and just brought the microspikes.

After a short walk up the bike path (snowmobile trail in winter, so be careful), the Mt. Pemigewasset trail heads off to the left, quickly going under the highway. The trail starts up the mountain from here, but at a gentle incline. Shortly, the trail turns to the right some and levels off a bit more. Then it goes back to the left and uphill again.

Early section of trail

Never getting overly difficult, the trail goes around the mountain some to the northern side of it. The trail then turns to come out onto the open areas just behind the summit. By this point I was the only one on the trail and I had the summit to myself. I enjoyed the nice views to the south, but wished there were a bit better looking up into Franconia Notch as I enjoy seeing the peaks there more.

View south from the summit

Open summit area

Limited views further up into the notch

After exploring around a bit, I headed out for the descent. Going down I took the Indian Head Trail. This would be something different to see, would make a small loop, and would make it so I have hiked both trails on the peak (for redlining purposes). Coming down had one steep spot, but it wasn't bad. Fewer people had been on this trail, but it was easy to follow and conditions were good. After an easy descent, the trail heads under the highway and then works over to Route 3. The trail head here was plowed out enough to use, but had far less room. Since my truck was still at the Flume, I took off the microspikes and headed back uphill again along the side of the road.

Coming back down

For all the pictures from the hike, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment