Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Middle Sugarloaf (2,539 ft) & North Sugarloaf (2,310 ft) 11-10-12

Distance: 3.669 mi.
Elevation: 1,010 ft. (overall) 1,289 ft. (total)
Time: 2:50
Trails: Sugarloaf Trail, Trestle Trail

This hike would be part one of my hikes for the day. I had decided on doing two shorter hikes from the 52 With A View list. This would get me to some new places and allow for some easier hikes and a later start than if I were doing a 4K.

I was the first car in the parking lot this morning, but not by much. After quickly getting on my needed gear, I was off on the trail. The trail starts off following the Zealand River before turning left away from it. Everything is pretty gentle and easy to start, even with today's coating of snow.

Early section of trail

Before too long, the trail gets to it's steepest part. Nothing too bad though considering this is the Whites. With a couple small switchbacks, it works up onto the ridge between the two peaks where the trail splits to go to each. I went left to Middle Sugarloaf first. The trail is pretty nice through here, and after a shorter descent it heads up to the summit. There are a couple spots where you climb up over some rocks and then just before the summit you come to a set of wooden stairs. The summit has some nice open spots and good views.

Wooden stairs

One of the views from the summit

Eventually I headed back down the trail to North Sugarloaf. This portion of trail also has a short descent before it works up around the back side of the summit to avoid being too steep and difficult. The views here are nice, but not quite as encompassing as Middle Sugarloaf.

Trail between the peaks

View towards Mt. Washington

After heading back down the trail and getting back to the Zealand River, I took a left onto the Trestle Trail so that I could check it out. It works away from the river a bit while passing a few large and interesting boulders. Soon you come to a crossing of the river where a bridge once was. The rocks had a nice layer of ice on them this morning, so I decided to put on my microspikes just for this crossing. That was a good idea and got me across safely. The trail then works back towards Zealand Road while passing through part of Sugarloaf Campground #2.

Boulder along the trail

Zealand River crossing

For more pictures from the hike, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment