Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mt. Osceola, East Peak (4,156 ft) & Mt. Osceola (4,340 ft) 12-21-14

Distance: 7.82 mi.
Elevation: 2,351 ft. (overall) 3,338 ft. (total)
Time: 2:48 (East Osceola), 3:59 (Osceola), 4:59 (East Osceola), 6:32 (Total)
Trails: Greeley Ponds Trail, Mt. Osceola Trail

While it was December 21st and there was snow on the ground, today's hike started about 13 hours to early to be considered a "winter" hike. That wasn't going to stop me though. I started the hike using Microspikes. The trail has a gradual incline and today it was nicely packed out from previous hikers. I hiked in to the first intersection with another hiker that was going past the ponds instead of up the mountain. The hike through here went quick and we had a good conversation. The only water crossing on this route was frozen enough that we were both able to make it across without any issues.

The start of the Mt. Osceola Trail is only a little bit steeper, but goes through thicker trees. Again the trail was well packed. After a little while of walking, the trail finally starts to climb and bears more to the right. From here up to the ridge you will be climbing with only a few small breaks. I put on my snowshoes here. I wanted the extra traction plus the heel lifts. Not very far up my climb I found a pair of snowshoes stuck in the snow next to the trail with no one around. They didn't look like they had fallen out of a pack. I left them figuring I could bring them out on the way back if they were still there. A while later I met the owner of them coming down the mountain from their quick climb up East Osceola. They didn't think they were providing enough traction, so they left the extra weight of them there to pick them up on the way down.

Easy trail before the steep climb begins

Conditions remained good while climbing. The only hard spot was a wide section of trail that had seen enough previous hikers slide down it that there wasn't much for good traction. After looking at my options, a route up the left side showed better looking conditions. Shortly after this there is an open slide to cross. This area had a nice path across it and showed that I was already high enough to be in the clouds. At the top of the steep climb there is a short path heading off to the right that leads to a small outlook to the west. Again, mostly a view of clouds. After the climb to get here, the final ascent to the summit seemed pretty easy and went fairly quick. The summit is wooded, so I didn't spend a lot of time here before continuing on to Mt. Osceola.

Steep portion of trail

Limited view coming up East Osceola

The descent down into the saddle between the peaks was pretty easy. Nothing too steep and the trail was still well packed. Although less packed than the previous portions of trail. The hike down to the chimney and the start of the climb up Osceola was pretty quick and I even picked up a jacket along the way that had fallen off someone's pack. The chimney was full of snow and had ice at the top. No one appears to have gone up it in quite a while. The bypass looked better, but still a bit sketchy. So I decided to try the bypass of the bypass. I'll be honest, this is basically a push through some thick trees that avoids the rocks but means you have to protect your face from branches.

The chimney filled with snow

The trail stays steep for a while after the chimney, but eventually becomes easier. It isn't too much further before you come out onto the open area near the summit. While the actual high point is a bit past the open area, it would seem most hikers stopped here. After a break, adjusting gear, and taking pictures of snow covered trees and the inside of clouds I headed to the high point. Not surprisingly, no one had been up/down from/to Tripoli Road. After hitting the high point, I headed back towards East Osceola.
View from Osceola

Just above the Chimney I encountered a few hikers coming up that had mostly taken the bypass of the chimney using their crampons. Continuing over East Osceola I skipped right over the summit to keep heading down. I went to the lookout just before the steep descent began, and the clouds appeared to be trying to clear out a bit. But there were still no distant views. For much of the descent I slid on my butt down the trail. Normally I don't like doing this because I feel it makes the trail harder for people coming up. But the trail had already been used enough in this manor that it was going to be hard to stay upright on my snowshoes. Because of this, the descent went quickly. At the bottom I switched back to Microspikes and made a quick hike out.

View towards Osceola heading back up East Osceola

View descending East Osceola

Brook crossing on the way out

While there were no good views to be had today, it was still a nice hike with full on winter conditions. There weren't many people on the trails and I was able to climb these peaks using a route that was new to me.

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment