Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Owl's Head (4,025 ft) 1-22-14

Distance: 16.8 mi.
Elevation: 2,907 ft. (overall) 3,457 ft. (total)
Time: 5:24 (Summit) 9:58 (Total)
Trails: Lincoln Woods Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond BW, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus BW, Owl's Head Path

This hike was one that I had been putting off. The long hike with no real view doesn't make it as appealing as the rest. I had also attempted this about a month and a half ago, but had to turn back early. That again made it less appealing. I certainly wasn't going to finish with this hike, so I had to do it now with only 2 peaks left to choose from.

The start of the hike involves hiking the Lincoln Woods Trail which is an old logging railroad bed. This means it is wide, flat, and mostly straight, but also boring. Snow on the ground was firm and there wasn't much ice. I was able to hike it pretty quickly and didn't need any traction on my feet. Once I got to the Black Pond Trail, I out on my Microspikes even though I probably didn't need to. I know this trail has more turns, obstacles, and elevation changes so I played it safe. The hike along the trail was quick and soon I was at the pond.

Lincoln Woods Trail

Nearing Black Pond

The trail stops at the pond, but the common winter route is the Balck Pond Buswhack which leaves from the pond and comes out somewhere near the major crossing of Lincoln Brook (it varies each year). This cuts off quite a bit of distance and avoids some water crossings that could be tricky early or late in the season. Today the bushwhack was well defined and in great shape. Microspikes were still working fine and I didn't sink into the snow at all. I can't see it getting much better than it was today. This year, the bushwhack basically came out right at the crossing of Lincoln Brook.

Black Pond Bushwhack

The hike up the Lincoln Brook Trail was nice. Again, conditions were great. There were just a coupld spots where the trail went over some ice or wet spots. Normally on brief sidehills where the treadway has fallen downhill some. The small brook crossings shortly before the Brutus Bushwhack were frozen solid and easy to do. At the start of the Brutus Bushwhack I stopped for a break and to put on my snowshoes. I suspected the snow would be deeper and softer the higher I went, plus I wanted to take advantage of the televators. It didn't look like anyone had been further up the Lincoln Brook Trail to use the Owl's Head Path. Having done that route in late winter before, I don't blame them.

The Brutus Bushwhack is also the standard for winter hikes of Owl's Head. It doesn't trim off much distance, but it does make for a more gradual climb and eliminates the climb up the slide which can be tricky in winter. The bushwhack goes through some open birch glades before turning hard left. From here it enters the softwoods and gets steep for a while. Eventualy it levels out some and works over to the Owl's Head Path near a large rock. From here, you follow the Owl's Head Path up to the old summit.

Brutus Bushwhack

From the old summit to the new summit, snow was deeper and soft on top. It was good to have the snowshoes on now. The path snakes though the trees a bit for being on a ridge, but since it isn't officially a trail, you can't actually make it as nice as the official trails without breaking wilderness rules. It was still easy to follow though and lead right to the summit. A few people had gone just past the summit, but not far and it was obvious where the summit actually was. I took a break here, had some food, and changed into some dry socks.

Owl's Head summit

As good as the view got

After a while of resting and some pictures of Franconia Ridge through the trees, it was time to head back out along the same route. The steep part of the Brutus Bushwhack was a bit tricky in a couple places. The snow was a bit softer with the sun shinning on it and I lost my footing once or twice causing me to stumble or fall down. After that it was smooth sailing back to the car. I switched back to Microspikes once I hit the Lincoln Brook Trail and kept them on until the Lincoln Woods Trail. It was then another boring walk back to the car. All things considered, it was a nice hike today with great conditions. I didn't see a single hiker all day, which was a bit surprising for a weekend. I guess everyone else went somewhere with fews on this sunny day.

Coming down the Brutus Bushwhack

Frozen brook crossing

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment