Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mt. Wildcat, D Peak (4,062 ft) & Mt. Wildcat, A Peak (4,422 ft) 1-2-15

Distance: 8.69 mi.
Elevation: 2,500 ft. (overall) 3,580 ft. (total)
Time: 2:00 (Wildcat D) 3:40 (Wildcat A) 5:10 (Wildcat D) 6:29 (Total)
Trails: Polecat Ski Trails, Wildcat Ridge Trails

Being at camp for New Years weekend as we normally do, it seemed a bit different coming into the White from the north for this hike. Weather for this weekend looked to be cloudy the entire time, but doing it this way made for a shorter drive than my normal 3.5 hours to get to the Wildcats.

Normally I'm not a big fan of hiking up a ski trail or something like that, I prefer to stay in the woods to hike a mountain. But given the longer and more dangerous options of using the trails on either side of the peaks, this was the quickest way to get the summits. It's also a very common route for winter peak baggers. All it requires is a $10 general access pass from the ski area.

Hiking up the ski trail

The standard route up the ski trails is to stay to the left using the Polecat trails and staying out of the way of skiers. This route proved to be steep at times as well as a bit icy in places, but footing was firm and there was no need to break trail. I made it up to the top of the ski trails in good time without any issues along them. I saw one ski patrol member that was cleaning up a small tree and had no issue with access to where I was from anyone. At the top of the chairlift, I could really feel the wind now as there weren't any trees blocking it. I quickly headed into the trees to go up the trail.

Nice hard trail between the peaks

I breezed over Wildcat D planning on spending more time here on the way back. It was a short steep climb up it and then again coming down off it. Now heading down, the hiking trail was quite firm and I decided to try using microspikes instead of my snowshoes. This worked well all the way out and back to the ski trail with only a couple places requiring care. With just the microspikes on, I was able to quicker up the trail. The ridge has a few ups and downs (B and C peak specifically), but nothing was too bad. It was a bit steep coming up onto C peak and some others butt sliding down made it a bit slicker for me going up. There are a few views along the ridge, but today the clouds made them not very good.

Short steep section

I made good time to Wildcat A peak and was able to look down into Carter Notch well. You couldn't see much further than that though. I had met a few people along the trail today that seemed like they were hoping to stay there tonight. But I also saw some of them at 19 Mile Brook trail head as I drove by, so maybe they didn't know all about self service season at the hut. It was cold on the summit and quite windy, so I spent less time than normal here before heading back.

Carter Dome from Wildcat A

The hike back to Wildcat D went well, as expected. The short steep descent off of C Peak took some care, but was never dangerous. Just before the platform on D Peak, I changed my damp layers for dry layers while I still had the trees to block the wind. I knew I was going to want more warm layers on the platform and for the hike down.

Heading back towards Wildcat D

Clouds were trying to clear some while I was on the platform, but they never did much. I was able to see up the range some and into the Gorham area, but that was about it. So after my pictures and such, I headed back down to the ski trail. Wind was blowing harder then the hike up it seemed, but that might have just been because I was now facing the wind. Goggles were nice to have for the descent. At one point I briefly talked with a nice couple that thought I was crazy for hiking up and down the mountain on a day like this. I didn't have the heart to tell them I thought they were crazy for paying $75 just to ski down a mountain (I fully admit I am not a skier) when I only had to pay $10.

Clouds still hiding the Presidential Range from view

Hiking down the ski trail as the sun gets lower

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment