Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Mt. Hancock, South Peak (4,319 ft) & Mt. Hancock (4,420 ft) 11-22-14

Distance: 10.1 mi.
Elevation: 2,264 ft. (overall) 3,155 ft. (total)
Time: 2:48 (South Hancock) 3:41 (North Hancock) 5:51 (Total)
Trails: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail

The weather started off pretty clear today. Providing me with a great sunrise on the drive to the trail head and some good views from the trail head. This is the second time I have hiked the Hancocks, and while each time has been in the snow, I've yet to technically hike them in winter.

Once you cross the road, the trail heads out an old logging railroad bed. The incline is gentle and the footing is good. The trail is nice and wide too. Along the way you will come to one smaller brook crossing. This can easily be done using the exposed rocks. This time of year though, you need to be careful of ice on the rocks. Continuing further up the trail, eventually the main river will be just to your left. Shortly after this, you reach the intersection with the Cedar Brook Trail.

Easy section of trail

While on the Cedar Brook Trail, you will encounter the main brook crossings of the hike. The first two can be avoided by a short and easy bushwhack along the edge of the river. After that you will need to do the crossings. Today the river was frozen over. But still being early in the "winter" season, the ice wasn't super thick yet. Being a larger hiker, I took it easy on these crossings making sure the ice was safe. I had no issues though at any point today.

Frozen brook crossing

Soon you are at the junction with the Hancock Loop Trail. Heading out this way, you will quickly encounter the last brook crossing. After this, the trail stays climbing at a gentle pace, but soon starts to get a bit more rocky and narrower. There were some patches of ice along the route, so eventually I put on my microspikes shortly before the split of the loop. At the split is where I ran into my first hikers of the day. Having gone to the left the last time I was here, I headed up South Hancock to the right today.

The climb up South Hancock does seems a bit steeper than North Hancock. Being steep though, means you get the elevation gain done quickly. It doesn't seem to take that much time to get up to the summit. By the time I got to the view point, the skies had clouded up. Luckily, the clouds were high enough that there was still some views. It felt a bit cool and windy here, so I enjoyed the views a bit quicker and then headed back on the trail.

Climbing South Hancock

South Hancock View

The last time I was here I really enjoyed the ridge between the peaks. Today was no different. While you are high on the ridge, the wind doesn't seem that bad. The trail is gentle and has no difficult sections. And like last time here, there was a nice layer of snow on the ground and trees.

Along the ridge

South Hancock from North Hancock

At the view point on North Hancock, the temperature felt warmer, but it was still a bit breezy. I tried to measure the wind with my Kestral, but the trees were blocking it enough that the numbers were surely too low. I spent some time enjoying the views all by myself. No other hikers came to the summit until I was packing up and ready to head down.

North Hancock view

With snow on the ground, I took it easy going down North Hancock. Luckily there didn't seem to be any ice underneath. Once down to the low point, you have just one short climb back up to the split of the loop trail. After this it was back out the same way that I came in. After the icy spots I took off my microspikes and it was a quick hike out. Temps were comfortable down low and there were only a few other people on the trail. Next time I come back, maybe I'll wait until summer so I can see this route without snow. Or I'll at least try to do a hike in the snow during official winter.

On the way out

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment