Saturday, November 16, 2019

Elephant Mtn (3,772 ft) 9-28-19

Distance: 3.54 mi.
Elevation: 1,012 ft (overall) 1,103 ft (total)
Time: 1:30 (Summit) 2:52 (Total)
Trails: Bushwhack

Four years ago I tried to hike this mountain, but due to a lack of time to properly research it and looking at one incorrect map I made it to the wrong peak. I found out about a week after that hike that I went to the wrong peak and would have to come back. This peak isn't really near much else so I haven't had a chance to get back to the area to hike it yet. And since I didn't want to finish here, I needed to make it #99 on the New England Hundred Highest list.

Recent reports have said that the road leading into the start of the traditional bushwhack has gotten pretty washed out, but it sounds like some people have been able to make it through. Having a full-size pickup and a sense of adventure I was willing to try making it up the road. I didn't find it too bad, but there was one spot that I got out to make sure where I needed to go in order to avoid any potential sharp edges on the culvert I would be driving over. I would think at this time most any suv should be able to make it through with care, but I wouldn't try going all the way with a car.

Worst section of the road leading to the bushwhack.
The picture doesn't do it justice

Trip reports from this year also talked about the lower part of the bushwhack having been heavily cut with the trees left on the ground. This basically wiped out the old route. A few recent reports though mention a new route some have taken that follows a drainage for while before coming out near the top of the slash/cut. This route turns off the old logging road at the start of the bushwhack earlier and at the time was marked by a small cairn that was built.

The start of the new route I used on the way up

This route proved to be pretty easy to follow early on and is already showing signs of being a path. Although it does currently lead to one thick section of trees that was harder to push through before reaching the slash. Crossing the slash here was pretty short and I found it pretty easy. I found this route came out just below where I came to a brook that I crossed the last time here. This time I saw a more defined path that didn't cross the brook and I stayed on that.

Getting ready to cross the top of the slash

The path was easy to follow except for a couple marshy areas that were basically wet grassy areas. The path kind of disappears in these spots and you have to guess a little bit and pay close attention to where you are going to get back onto the path. Continuing up the path gets to a thicker patch of woods where care is needed just before coming to the high swampy area. I was expecting something like the marshy areas the path had already gone through, but it had more short trees, debris, and running water and mud than I thought. Following what looked like a bit of a path from logging though lead me to the herd path where it enters back into the trees.

The boggy area high up

From here to the summit the path was easy to follow and it didn't take too long to make it to the summit. I spent some time at the summit, but with no views and the chance of a late day shower I didn't stay too long. On the way down I saw what looked like another herd path turning off to the right. I didn't explore this, but I wonder if it is something of a more direct route or if maybe it could be used to avoid the slash all together or the high level swampy area at least. I'd like to go back and explore more, but it isn't likely to happen soon.

The summit with canister and sign on the right

A marshy area along the route

On the way down I followed the path back to the brook near where I crossed the slash. I decided that I wanted to see how bad the slash was to see if other hikers might have been exaggerating. They haven't been. I followed the old path until it reached the slash where it was apparent a straight route wouldn't be easy. I decided to explore some and see if by following the edge I might be able to find better walking and possibly an easier route for others. While I was able to go easily to start, it didn't stay that way. Following the edge came to thick enough trees that you still had to walk over the slash because you couldn't go around it. I then tried to pick easier routes or head for thinner areas of the slash, this helped some but also angled me so that I would spend more time in the slash which wouldn't really save much effort. Finally I decided to just straight line it to the old logging road/path that the traditional route followed. Once on that I made the easy walk back to the truck.

I wonder if with the new changes a more direct route might emerge that would avoid the wet areas and the slash altogether, possibly linking up with whatever that herd path I saw was. I'd like to do more research and looking to see if this might be a new option. This hike is relatively short in distance and time, but the route might still be able to be improved.

I crossed this brook the last time here, you shouldn't

Coming down through the slash near the old route

Google Earth representation of the hike

For all the pictures from the hike, just go to my gallery on SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment