Friday, December 26, 2014

North Brother (4,151 ft) 9-9-14

Distance: 8.88 mi.
Elevation: 3,088 ft (overall) 3,307 ft (total)
Time: 3:46 (summit) 6:43 (total)
Trails: Marston Trail

For my second full day in Baxter State Park this weekend, my plan was to hike North Brother. I had thought about hiking Mt. Coe, South Brother, and Fort Mtn. as well today, but figured I would play it safe and just enjoy North Brother (the only 4K of the group) after how tiring yesterday was.

The trail head has a nice view looking up Doubletop Mtn on the other side of the river. And as you head out onto the trail, it's pretty easy to start. There is one small stream crossing, but it is very shallow. The trail gradually gets a bit steeper for a while, but not hard. It then levels back out some before hitting the junction with the Mt. Coe Trail.

Early bit of trail

Steep section of trail

From here, the trail works gradually up to a small pond. After going around the pond, the trail then turns to head straight up onto the ridge next to the pond. This was the steepest part of the hike, but there is also a trail reroute in the works here, so that might change. While coming up this section, I saw something dark in the trees ahead of me. I thought it was just a root ball or some other kind of debris in the trees, but then it started to come towards me. It was a small black bear (probably 125-150 lbs). He wasn't running at me, but it was faster than a casual "what's that over there" stroll. I made him aware of my presence and told him he didn't want to come any further down the trail (well I didn't want him to). After a couple pauses and steps closer, he finally went off to the side of the trail and down over the ridge. Normally I'd want to grab a photo of a bear, but when even a small one is about 25 feet away, that isn't your first thought.

I continued up onto the ridge where the trail levels back out again before coming to the upper junction with the Mt. Coe Trail. I turned left and headed up the rest of the Marsten Trail to North Brother. Soon the summit could be seen through the trees. As the trail goes along, it gets steeper and narrower. It could use a good brush trimming, but it is also getting very eroded. From talking with a park ranger, they are looking into the best option about this.

The trail coming up out of the trees

Before too long you start to come up out of the trees though. As you do, there are some large rocks to get up and over or require a hop from one to another, but not many. The trail soon brings you up to the summit. While taking in the beautiful views, I thought about making the bushwhack over to Fort Mtn, but stuck with my initial plan of just one peak today. I'll come back soon and grab all four peaks here to get the three on the New England 100 Highest list as well.

After a nice long time at the summit, it was time to head back down the same route I came up. The hike went well with no bear encounters and soon I was back at my car. The day was nice enough and I had enough time that I explored some of the Tote Road and nearby locations while on the way back to my campsite.

View northeast from the summit

Katahdin from the summit

View of Coe, South Brother, and Doubletop

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment