Monday, May 8, 2017

Waterfalls & Redlining 5-6-17

Distance: 4.02 mi.
Elevation: 1,491 ft (overall) 1,770 ft (total)
Time: 1:11 (Dome Rock) 2:11 (Total)
Trails: Howker Ridge Trail, Kelton Trail, Inlook Trail, Randolph Path

I had a morning planned in Berlin, NH but nothing for the afternoon. So in order to make the nearly 3 hour drive more worth it, I planned this relatively short loop as a hike for the afternoon. It would go past at least one waterfall, but also get me 4 miles of redlining done along the many trails on the northern side of Mt. Madison and Mt. Adams.

The trail started a bit wet, but easy going. Lots of Trout Lilies and Violets were in bloom near the start. As the trail neared Bumpus Brook, it got a bit steeper and then went past the first waterfall, Stairs Fall. This waterfall was nice and had a could view of it from the trail. Continuing up, the trail passes Devil's Kitchen shortly before Coosauk Fall. This waterfall was also nice, but had a limited view from the trail. Venturing down to the brook, there was really only one area good enough for pictures as well.

Trout Lilies were in bloom down low

Stairs Fall

Coosauk Falls

Soon I turned onto the Kelton Trail where things started to get steeper. A bit above Kelton Crag, it started to rain lightly and I put my pack cover on. I stopped at The Outlook to take a picture showing how cloudy it was and the rain started picking up more. I quickly put the camera back in the bag and kept hiking. At the upper junction of the Inlook Trail (the highest point of the hike) I decided it was time for my raincoat. From here back to the car it rained pretty steadily and I didn't take my camera back out, even though there were some interesting spots on the trail.

Small brook

The Outlook

The Inlook Trail had lots of exposed rock, so I took my time descending so I wouldn't slip in the rain. At the junction with the Randolph Path and Brookside Trail, I was glad I didn't need to cross the brook. While the crossing could have been done with care, I don't think it could have been done without my boots going at least part way under water. The descent down the Randolph Path was smooth sailing with good terrain that got wetter and wetter as I neared the bottom. Near the end of the trail there was plenty of standing water with some of it pretty deep for a trail.

Route for the day

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment