Friday, May 19, 2017

Mt. Monadnock (3,165 ft) 5-16-17

Distance: 5.10 mi.
Elevation: 1,773 ft (overall) 1,962 ft (total)
Time: 1:45 (Summit) 3:18 (Total)
Trails: White Dot Trail, White Cross Trail, White Arrow Trail, Amphitheatre Trail, Smith Connecting Trail, Cliff Walk Trail, Lost Farm Trail, Parker Trail

In order to avoid the normal crowds on the main trails from the State Park Headquarters, I opted to hike from here after work on a weekday. This plan worked well and I didn't see anyone else heading up, and not many heading down. I needed to hike from here for my personal project of remapping trails with my newer GPS. Today I wanted to get the White Cross Trail checked off the list.

The hike up went smoothly, or as smooth as it can over a heavily worn rocky trail. The only real problems were the unrelenting swarms of black flies below treeline and the amount of trash that was left along the trail. Apparently someone decided they needed to constantly use toilet paper to blow their nose or wipe sweat off their face or something. And they didn't seem to think they needed to carry out those pieces of paper either.

Heavily worn trail

This route starts off a little bit gradual and then gets steeper once the White Dot and White Cross Trails diverge. Once the climbing starts, the trail also becomes more and more rocky. So many hikers have hiked this route over the years that much of the soil has been worn and eroded away. Due to this, you'll see multiple paths just off trail from hikers trying to avoid the rocks. PLEASE try to stay on the trail as using these paths just tramples vegetation, increases erosion, and progressively makes the trail wider and wider. If brush or debris is blocking a path, that means that you shouldn't be using it and it was blocked off by park officials.

More rocks along the trail

Once you start getting closer to treeline, the trail levels back out some, but still keeps gaining elevation. You will also see less large rocks scattered along the trail replaced with more large sections of exposed rock. This is where most probably consider the trail to get more enjoyable as it isn't quick as steep and you don't have to keep stepping from rock to rock to rock. Above treeline, you'll want to keep an eye on the painted blazes on the rocks to keep you following the correct path.

The mountain casting a shadow

Miles watching as the sun gets closer to setting

I got to the top a little while before sunset was ready to occur. There was only one other hiker at the time and we talked for a bit before I started taking pictures and he sat to enjoy the view. Knowing I wasn't taking a direct route back down, I left the summit before sunset actually happened. I made sure I was still above treeline when it did happened, but also got a head start on my descent so I wouldn't have to put on my headlamp quite as early.

The sun setting

Muted colors looking away from the sun

Sunset

I headed down the White Arrow Trail and worked by way over to Bald Rock before needing to take out my headlamp. I didn't need it quite yet, but knew that as soon as I left Bald Rock I would be into more dense forest and it would come in handy soon. I continued down the Cliff Walk Trail until I reached the Lost Farm Trail and headed back towards the trail head I started at. The Lost Farm Trail had a few minor issues as far as downed trees go. but I also saw a couple of deer just off trail in the darkness. When I got back to the parking lot, I was the only car left.

Route for the day

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment