Friday, June 17, 2016

Snow Mountain - Cupsuptic (3,784 ft) 6-11-16

Distance: 3.91 mi.
Elevation: 1,055 ft (overall) 1,101 ft (total)
Time: 1:17 (Snow Mtn) 2:10 (Total)
Trails: Logging roads, herd path

Just before getting back to the vehicle while hiking White Cap and N. Kennebago, it started to rain. So I quickly got in the vehicle at the end of the hike and slowly drove the logging roads to Snow Mountain. On the way I was thinking it wasn't raining too hard and I could just throw on my rain jacket and pack cover. When I got to Snow Mountain though, I found out I left those in the tent (an hour away) instead of in the back seat. So I sat and listened to the radio for about 30 minutes while having a snack and drinking water. It rained lightly off and on while I hoped for a weather forecast on the radio. Yesterday afternoon they were predicting temps near 70 with some clouds, but it was currently 55 with scattered showers. Eventually I decided to just start the hike. If it started to rain again while I was on the logging roads/paths I'd probably turn around, otherwise I'd go for the summit and just get wet.

Heading out from the parking area, continue on the road through a grassy and wet/muddy section. After about 1/3 of a mile, you'll come to an intersection. There is a small cairn on the left here, and you'll want to take the left turn. Continue up this road until you reach the next intersection. You'll want to go straight here. On the other side of the intersection is another small cairn and a wooden arrow on the ground indicating the direction you want to go. A little further up, the road you are on turns toward the left. There is another small cairn here on the left to help navigation. But to be honest, your only real other option is too head up a skidder path on your right into a logged off section. Just after this, you'll come to the flat dirt landing that many other trip reports mention. The grass and plants are starting to grow better here, so it isn't just a flat dirt area. It's pretty apparent though that you are where you want to be.

The road leaving where you park

Left onto this first road at about 1/3 mile

Wooden arrow and cairn where you go straight

You'll want to head to the back right (as you enter) corner of this clearing. There is an easy to see skidder path leaving here. I didn't find any cairns as some other reports had mentioned. I walked in this path for around 100 feet looking for an indication of the start of the herd path. Other trip reports mentioned one about 50 feet in. I couldn't find anything myself, but it might have been hidden by the vegetation growing. I went back to about 20 feet from the clearing and started up what appeared to be a faint herd path. This stuck mostly to the ruts on the left side of the logged off area. I figured if nothing else, I could get to the top of the logged area this way, then walk across it until I found the herd path.

Along my way up the logged area, I did see one possible marker that this was the herd path. There were some sticks placed perpendicular to each other on a stump. It didn't seem likely they would have just happened to end up that way. Just before the top of the cut, the path became more clear. Very soon, it lead to the small cairn at the top of the cut and the herd path into the trees. This entrance into the trees was on the left side just like the path I followed up. So if you can't find the path through the cut, just stay near the left edge and you should be able to find the herd path at the top.

Herd path leaving the logging cut

From here up it was pretty easy to follow the herd path. Somewhat open woods with defined path on the ground. There wasn't much to step over and only one blow down to go around. Where the path goes through the ferns, you could still make it out without much effort. If the ferns were taller, maybe it would be tricky. These patches of ferns weren't overly big though, so you should still be able to keep on track pretty easily. The contour of the mountain seems to level out a bit near the top, so you end up going a bit further than you might initially think as you look up through the trees. Eventually you will come to a small opening though with a couple blow downs on the back side and a canister attached to a tree just behind them.

Much of the herd path looks like this

Snow Mountain (Cupsuptic)

Knowing the route now, the hike back down went quick and easy. It briefly rained a bit on the ascent, but even with that and the showers early, the path wasn't slippery or muddy. I could see it getting that way after heavier rain though. Once back down on the logging roads/paths, I was thinking it could be a good time to see some wildlife. No sticks on the ground to make noise and no branches to push through either. And since I was alone, no one talking. Sure enough, I soon saw a deer off to my right. She watched me stop, set down my pack, and get out my camera. But as soon as I wanted to take a picture of her, she started to walk off. Doesn't it just figure. The final distance to the car went quick and easy and I was able to stay out of mud better near the vehicle. On the drive back to the paved roads, I even saw a moose. She ran off as soon as she saw me though, so no picture of her at all.

The one view while descending

Herd path while descending

At the top of the logged area looking down

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

Google Earth representation of the hike

No comments:

Post a Comment