Thursday, January 29, 2015

Zealand Mtn (4,260 ft) 10-11-14

Distance: 12.6 mi.
Elevation: 2,221 ft (overall) 3,095 ft (total)
Time: 4:01 (Summit) 6:44 (Total)
Trails: Zealand Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Zeacliff Trail, Twinway

After doing a 3 day Pemi-Loop earlier in the summer, Zealand Mountain was left hanging by itself in the eastern side of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. Knowing the only views would be from Zeacliff, I saved this hike for a day where clear skies wouldn't matter. So hiking it today where it started off cloudy and cleared some would be perfect. I decided on doing a bit longer of a hike so I could go up the Zeacliff Trail rather than just straight up and back past the hut.

The trail starts off on an old railroad grade, so it is pretty easy and goes by quickly. All crossings of the brook through here are on well made bridges. It doesn't seem to take too long before you are getting towards Zealand Pond just below the hut. When I came through this morning, there was a wet path across the trail that headed into the woods. When I got next to the water, I saw that there was a beaver active and swimming around just in front of me. While I took a few pictures of him and of the area, he just kept swimming in circles seemingly waiting for me to leave so he could get back to doing what he was in the woods. He even tried to encourage me some with a few slaps of his tail as he dove under the water.

Zeacliff in site with a beaver swimming around

After passing by the Twinway Trail, it was still more easy walking along the old rail bed. Footing was smooth and the hike was pretty quick. The leaves that were starting to change two weeks ago when I came through here last had now changed and many had already fallen off. This was a bit disappointing, but there were still patches of nice color. Before long I came to the junction of the Zeacliff Trail.

Looking down into Zealand Valley

This trail meanders over the rocks a bit as it works down into the ravine, but is pretty easy to follow if you pay attention. Once into the trees, it drops steeply the last little bit down to Whitewall Brook. The crossing here was easier than I had expected from reading other's trip reports. There were a few large stones you could easy walk across. Once on the other side of the brook, the trail starts to head uphill fast. It gets steep, but doesn't have any hard obstacles. Just some rocky and root covered terrain as it goes straight up the hillside. As you go further, the trail will start to bear to the right and get a bit easier. It also passes through a small stand of Birch trees. Near the upper end, the trail starts to work around the side of Zeacliff and has one tricky obstacle to go over. There is a large exposed rock that the trail goes up. On the far end of it, there was a good place to climb that had a couple small spots for your feet and hands as you pull yourself up and over.

Whitewall Brook

You'll need to climb up and over this

Once up on the Twinway, it's a pretty gentle walk to the summit. One steep section has a large rock to climb up and a short ladder to help you get the last bit of it. Other than that it is just a walk in the woods, albeit a bit of a rocky one at times.

Twinway Trail

At the summit there were a couple people already there, and more kept showing up. Lots of people were on their way to Guyot Campsite today. Hopefully they all found a spot. On the summit it was only 38 degrees, so a jacket or something was nice to have. After a while here, I headed back down the trail on my way out. Since I skipped it the last time I was here, I made sure to take the short spur trail down to Zeacliff Pond. This small pond has a nice view over it to Mt. Carrigain, but the lighting today left me a bit disappointed.

At the summit

Zeacliff Pond

As I got closer to Zeacliff, the sky started to clear up some. The sun was coming out a bit at times and there were views off in the distance. This was great timing as I came to the viewpoint and had some sun while there. I enjoyed the best views of the day and took plenty of pictures. As I headed back down the trail, it was a bit steeper and rockier than I remembered. There weren't any real hard spots though along the route. Before long I came to the hut, which was a popular spot today. I took a short break here and changed my gear up some before taking some more pictures. The view from the hut was pretty nice today looking down into the valley. After leaving the hut, it was a quick and easy walk back out to the car.

Sun starting to come out

View from Zeacliff

View south from Zeacliff

View from the hut

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment