Saturday, October 2, 2021

Mt. Moosilauke (4,802 ft) 7-31-21

Distance: 11.8 mi.
Elevation: 2,313 ft (overall) 3,435 ft (total)
Time: 3:56 (Summit) 5:49 (Total)
Trails: Al Merrill Loop, Asquam-Ridge Trail, Beaver Brook Trail, Carriage Rd, Snapper Trail, Gorge Brook Trail

In my previous three attempts of Mt. Moosilauke I have yet to have good views in all directions. Either It was cloudy in every direction or the summit was right on the edge of the clouds limiting the views to only one direction. So with today's good forecast, I decided it was time to try again for good views as well as take a longer than normal route to get in some redlining miles as well. Today's loop would start out using the All Merrill Loop over the height of land along it before dropping back down and joing onto the Asquam-Ridge Trail. This trail starts off very gentle with lots of small foot bridges crossing water bars along the trail. As it gets higher the waterbars go away and the trail stays nice and gentle. It does a couple switchbacks as it ascends up some old woods roads.

Gentle grades along the Al Merrill Loop

At the height of land along this trail there is a small clearing that provides a view of the summit. There were still some clouds around the summit when I got there, but I could see things were clearing up nicely.

View from the high point of the trail

Dropping back down to the Asquam-Ridge Trail, the Al Merrill Loop gets narrower and has more rocks than the gentle hike up. It is also a bit steeper. This section of trail seemed to take longer than I expected, but it was still nice going. Once at the junction I turned right and started heading back uphill again. The Asquam-Ridge Trail is steeper and rockier, but still made for an enjoyable hike. There are some interesting things to see along the trail and the woods along the trail go through some changes as you hike too.

A very mossy section of trail

This loop was certainly a good way to avoid some of the crowds as I didn't see my first hiker until near the junction with the Beaver Brook Trail after crossing over Mt. Jim. There was a small path that lead to the high point of Mt. Jim just a few feet off trail. I took this just in case it counted for anything. I would be reminded when I got home and looking at other lists that this made the peak count towards my Trailwrights 72 list. Glad I made the 30 foot excursion so it would count.

I bypassed the path to Mt. Blue from the Beaver Brook Trail. Turns out that is also on the Trailwrights list, but you can only bag one peak per hike. I will have to get it when I come back to redline the rest of the Beaver Brook Trail. With how much rain we got in the last few days of this week, I was surprised to find that they only real muddy spots were along the Beaver Brook Trail a little bit before coming out above treeline. There was plenty of it when I did find it though.

Mud along the Beaver Brook Trail

The trail pops out above treeline just after passing the junction with the Benton Trail. While a nice hike above treeline, it was disappointing to see the paths on both sides of the trail that have trampled the vegetation above treeline. I guess multiple signs clearly telling hikers not to do this just isn't enough. The trail wasn't that rough or wet so as to make it necessary to walk over the plants instead of along the trail.

The summit was a pretty busy place today, but the views were great and people were spread out pretty well so it was still enjoyable. Since it was the best views I have had up here in four hikes, I spent plenty of time looking around and taking pictures.

View north from the summit

View west from the summit

View east from the summit

Mt. Lafayette and Mt. Lincoln off in the distance

For the descent today I would start down the Carriage Road. I have been on the upper section of this a couple times now, but I would be following it further this time to get more redlining done on it. Footing is good to start with it being a little bit rocky though. Once starting into the trees it gets pretty smooth with firm dirt which makes for quick moving.

Coming down the Carriage Road before entering the trees

I bypassed the South Peak this time since I have been there before and just wanted to continue on my way. I did take a couple pictures around the junction though were I saw a mouse pop out from under a rock just to turn back around to run and hide. The Carriage Road below this junction was rockier than I expected. This made it a little slower going than I normally go while descending and it could be a bit harder on the knees for those that have issues with that. It was still sunny though, with few other hikers, and there were some views along the way.

Descending the Carriage Road

Once down to the junction I would take the Snapper Trail over to the Gorge Brook Trail. This would let me redline the Snapper Trail which is just over a mile. The trail had one small brook crossing and has a number or larger rocks in it that are easy to get around or over.

Descending the Snapper Trail

I followed the Gorge Brook Trail back down to the Baker River where I took a few more pictures and then used the nice bridge to cross over. The Ravine Lodge was still closed to non guests/staff due to Covid so I couldn't go in and check it out. Since the last time I was here it has been completely redone. I guess I will have to check it out some other time. After following the path ways around the lodge, it was just a short walk back down the road to my truck. Vehicles were parked all along the road today, but I got an early enough start to be pretty close.

Google Earth representation of the hike

For all the pictures from the hike, just go to my gallery on SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment