Sunday, November 10, 2019

Mt. Weeks (3,901 ft) & Mt. Weeks South Peak (3,885 ft) 9-8-19

Distance: 13.3 mi.
Elevation: 2,219 ft (overall) 3,847 ft (total)
Time: 1:52 (Mt. Weeks) 3:06 (South Weeks) 4:51 (Mt. Weeks) 6:44 (Total)
Trails: York Pond Trail, Kilkenny Ridge Trail

A cloudy forecast for the weekend meant it was time to check off the two Weeks Peaks from the New England Hundred Highest list for me as they don't have any views from the summits or trails. I'm nearing the end of the list and have only one other hike that won't have something for a view. Unfortunately today it also decided to start raining as I got closer to the trail head and it continued to do so for a little while into my hike. This wasn't quite what was predicted, but I had brought my rain jacket just in case.

There were a few other vehicles at the trail head today so I knew others were hiking as well. By the time I got past where Bunnell Notch Trail turns off to the right though, I could tell I was the first hiker heading further up the York Pond Trail towards the Weeks Peaks. This section of trail has lots of tall grass next to the trail as you hike over multiple bog bridges. My pants/legs were getting wet enough through here I could no one had been through yet this morning. In hind sight, I should have had my rain pants for this grass and the ferns that would come later.

Tall grass along the start of the trail hiding the foot bridges

The trail is very gentle to start, staying mostly flat for quite a ways before slowly starting to gain elevation. About halfway up to Willard Notch is where this trail gets the steepest, but even then it is still pretty tame for the Whites and has good footing. It levels back out some again before reaching the junction with the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. At this point in the hike today the rain was just finishing up. What this meant is that all of the upcoming ferns along the trail were now going to be nice and wet as I pushed through them. This was going to get my legs even wetter and that water would then slowly work its way down into my boots.

The trail crosses at this old dam

Gradual climbing

Moss and tree covered rock along the trail

As you get higher up onto the peaks you run into the infamous sections of ferns. I was surprised by how big they were and long you would hike through them. It's certainly not something you see all the time hiking these mountains. As I mentioned earlier though, it meant for wet legs today and eventually wet feet as the water ran down into my boots and socks. When I got to the summit of North Weeks, the first thing I did was take my boots off and ring the water out of my socks. It's not very often I need to do that. The summit of North Weeks has a small opening along the trail and also a small cairn. If it weren't for these, you'd likely start to walk past the high point without realizing it. There are no views and the top doesn't come to any sharp high point. Today the summit was a bit in the clouds/fog and it made for an interesting scene.

Mt. Weeks summit

The trail works its way down North Weeks by working around the south side of the peak through one long switchback of sorts. This section was probably the roughest section of trail of the day. The branches here could have used a bit of a trim in places and there were some rocky bits plus some rooty sections of trail. After coming down to the col it becomes an enjoyable hike up and over Middle Weeks, which has no real indication as to where the high point is other than your own judgement.

The climb up South Weeks is where you start to come across plenty of blow downs from past storms. Most of these have been cleaned up pretty good, but there a few that I had to climb over, under, or around. There was one interesting group of trees that actually made a bit of a brief tunnel to walk through. Navigating this section of trail was probably the most difficult just because of the obstacles. But going back down through it was easier as you already know where to go and how to get through it. At the short spur path to the summit of South Weeks is where I saw the only other hiker of the day on this route. He was actually trying to set a new fastest known time for completing the Cohos Trail. I'm not sure if he made it, but he was making good time when I saw him

The trail going through a bit of a tunnel in the trees

There were lots of old blow downs closer to South Weeks

Summit of South Weeks

The hike back up and over all the peaks goes pretty smoothly. Lots of ferns and stretches of enjoyable trail. While the rain stopped a while ago, it wasn't warm enough for things to fully dry out. The sun seemed like it wanted to make an appearance through the clouds, but it only made a somewhat brief appearance. With no view along this hike, I wasn't missing out on much though.

The best view of the day

Lots of ferns along the trail today

Some trees were covered in old man's beard

After resummiting North Weeks it was smooth sailing all the way back down. More hiking through the ferns followed by mossy sections of woods and then even some shorter sections of hobble bush lining the trail. Back down near the bottom I stopped to enjoy a small cascade next to the trail and take some pictures of it that I didn't want to do in the rain. The one brook crossing is a bit more work on the way out because you have to climb back up onto the concrete wall of the other side rather than just jump down off of it. Water levels were low enough today and my feet were already soaked, so I just walked up to the edge through the water and climbed up. Others appear to go just upstream so it might be easier there if you don't want to get wet.

By the time I got back to my truck it appears that all the other hikers finished their treks or turned around to come back when it is drier. Even with the rain and damp conditions on the trail today, I found this hike to be quite enjoyable. I'll certainly be back through here at some point when it is drier. Maybe as a similar loop, but most likely as a traverse so I can check out more of the trail and surrounding area.

A small cascade next to the trail

Google Earth representation of the hike

For all the pictures from the hike, just go to my gallery on SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment