Sunday, August 13, 2017

South Turner Mtn (3,110 ft) 7-31-17

Distance: 4.51 mi.
Elevation: 1,633 ft (overall) 1,699 ft (total)
Time: 2:09 (Summit) 3:22 (Total)
Trails: Sandy Stream Pond Trail, South Turner Mtn Trail, Sandy Stream Pond Trail

For the last day of this Baxter State Park trip I wanted to hike South Turner Mountain so that I could get some good views of Katahdin. Since I was starting from the Roaring Brook trail head, I still had to get an early start to guarantee a parking space. With that accomplished, I think I was on the trail around 7am. I also hoped the early start would help my chances of seeing a moose at Sandy Stream Pond.

The mostly flat 0.3 miles to Sandy Stream Pond went quick and easy. When I got to the first lookout on the pond, I was greeted by....... ducks. Some of the ducks were swimming, some were still sleeping. Oh well, time to keep hiking. After the pond, the trail stays flat for a little while before coming to some large rocks that make up the trail. After these rocks, there are more small ones that make up the trail.

Oh boy, ducks

Soon, the trail starts to climb. The climbing doesn't stop until you reach the top. For what seems like a small peak, it's still a bit of a strenuous hike to get to the top. There really isn't anything overly difficult about the trail, no scrambles or anything like that until the top. It's just a steady uphill climb with smaller rocks making up much of the route. There is a spring closer to treeline, but I didn't head down to it. It sounded like the brook in that area was running today though.

Rocky section of trail

Steady climbing

As soon as you come out of the trees shortly before the summit, you can see that the last bit of trail to the summit is the hardest. It starts off with lose rocks and gravel and gradually turns into larger and larger rocks to climb over. It's also a bit steeper than the rest of the climb. Once you are on top though, the views make it all worth it.

Last stretch to the summit

Katahdin from the summit

I had very few clouds (even with a chance or rain for the afternoon) and just a little bit of breeze. I also got the summit to myself for quite a while before a family of hikers made their way to the top. We sat and talked for quite a while, all enjoying the great views in all directions.

View to the north

Sandy Stream Pond

On the way down, I made good time down to the pond. I headed out onto the platform at the third lookout to see if there was any wildlife out near the other lookouts. I was surprised to see a cow moose looking at me from about 30-40 feet away. I tried to duck behind the bushes and get my camera out, but about the time I pulled the camera bag out of my hiking pack, she decided she had had enough and started walking away. I made my way quickly to the big rock lookout, but the couple there said the moose headed off into the woods rather than up the shoreline. Oh well, no pictures of her, but at least I got to see her. I spent a fair amount of time sitting on the rock before heading back to my truck and then Togue Pond for a nice swim.br>
View from the big rock

South Turner from Sandy Stream Pond

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment