Thursday, September 3, 2015

Middle Tripyramid (4,140 ft) & North Tripyramid (4,180 ft) 8-29-15

Distance: 11.9 mi.
Elevation: 2,863 ft (overall) 3,368 ft (total)
Time: 4:10 (Middle Tripyramid) 4:50 (North Tripyramid) 7:09 (Road) 7:29 (Total)
Trails: Sabbaday Brook Trail, Mt. Tripyramid Trail, Pine Bend Brook Trail, Road

The plan for today was to head up the Sabbaday Brook Trail to the Tripyramids, then over to the Sleepers and down the Downes Brook Trail. This plan changed part way through the day though. The only time I have been on the Sabbaday Brook Trail before (other than to the falls) was on an early winter hike last year where I descended this way trying to avoid some icy sections of Pine Bend Brook Trail. That decision didn't work out as well as I would have liked with a foolish bushwhack for a while and poor snow conditions down low. So knowing the brook crossings would be low today, I wanted to head back under better conditions and hike the entire trail properly.

At the first crossing

Following the old railroad bed

The hike to the falls was very easy with a wide smooth trail for the crowds that visit just the falls. Immediately after that, the trail gets narrower and rougher. It's still easy to follow though. As expected, the first river crossing was low and easy to navigate. Soon after I made the next two crossings with ease as well and was able to catch a quick glimpse of a Pine Marten near one of them.

After the first 3 crossings, the trail mostly follows and old railroad grade. This made for a gradual climb with a trail that was pretty wide. There were a couple wet spots, but not as bad as when I was here last winter. After a couple miles of walking, the trail drops down to the right and comes to the fourth crossing. Another easy one with low water levels today. Just above this area the brook splits and becomes a few smaller brooks that all feed back into this one. This would make each of the others brooks I would enjoy even smaller from here out.

Following the brook

The trail after this crossing starts to get a bit steeper, but not much. And while the brook it follows is now smaller, it follows closely and it looks like the trail could be very wet after heavy rains or during spring melt. It follows and crosses multiple stream beds that were dry today, but appear to flow well at times. The trail does cross the actual brook it is following twice during the climb before it reaches the last crossing which was just barely a trickle today.

Small last brook crossing

From here, the trail angles back left and follows the side hill for a while before turning right and heading steeply up to the saddle between the peaks. The steep sections starts out over a slab of bare rock that had good traction today. It then climbs over roots, rocks, and other obstacles more in the trees. There are a couple places where you need to watch your footing as there are spots you could step into and twist and ankle or knee. The trail levels back out briefly as it comes to the upper end at the junction with the Mt. Tripyramid Trail.

Steep section of rock

Originally I had planned to hit North Tripyramid then head south over Middle Tripyramids and then the Sleepers. But with the warmer than normal temps and almost complete lack of wind, I wasn't feeling like I was going to enjoy the extra distance. So instead I changed my plans here to just do the Tripyramids and then do a loop back to the car going down the Pine Bend Brook Trail.

The climb to Middle Tripyramid was quick with this trail being a bit rocky, but less steep than the top of the Sabbaday Brook Trail. At the summit there was already a group of people, but they left soon and I had the place to myself. After enjoying the summit a while, I headed back towards North Tripyramid. This section was easy as the elevation gain is about the same from the saddle, but over almost twice the distance. There was more people on North Tripyramid and I met a hiker who was doing consecutive loops up the North Slide. He was on his third trip up for the day and was hoping to get 2 or 3 more done before dark.

View from Middle Tripyramid

View from Middle Tripyramid

Blow down next to the trail between the peaks

View from North Tripyramid

The descent of Pine Pend Brook Trail is steep and rocky to start with some briefs sections that give relief. There is a nice nearly level section of trail that I have always enjoyed near the Scaur Ridge Trail junction. After this though, it gets steep again for quite a while. Footing was mostly good with a few places requiring care. Eventually the trail comes down into a ravine and becomes a bit easier. The brook in the ravine was completely dry today this high up. I was hoping to splash some cold water on my head, but was still happy the rocks would be dry and not slippery.

Rocky section of trail

Soon the trail becomes less steep and doesn't have as many rocks in it. It gets pretty easy from here back to the road with only a few muddy sections to navigate. The brook crossings in this section aren't too big and were easy to do today. Eventually there was water in the brooks and I enjoyed splashing myself with cool water at each good crossing. Getting to the end of the trail, I had to walk up the side of the road back to where I started. I knew either loop I would do today would include this. Unfortunately my feet got pretty sore in this section, but I did get to see an Ariel Atom driving down the road. I didn't even know you could get one of those in the US.

Small brook crossing

Had the temperature been just a bit lower today or had there actually been some wind, I think I would have stuck to my initial plan and climbed the Sleepers as well. But I'll just have to come back again to get East Sleeper checked off my New England Hundred Highest list. I started paying attention today, and I think I only felt the wind or saw the trees moving due to the wind a total of six times. That isn't much during a more than 8 hour period. And you can really start to tell this when you are already climbing hard and working up a sweat.

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment