Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mt. Monadnock (3,165 ft) 7-10-15

Distance: 5.36 mi.
Elevation: 1,758 ft (overall) 2,018 ft (total)
Time: 2:03 (summit) 3:07 (total)
Trails: White Dot Trail, Cascade Link, Spellman Trail, Pumpelly Trail, White Cross Trail

I decided I wanted to get a hike in since it had been a while since I had been up a significant peak. I decided getting out of work an hour early and heading up Monadnock for the sunset was a good way to get in a hike. I'd been thinking recently that it had been a while since I was on the Spellman Trail, so I picked a route that included it.

The hike up went well. There weren't many people as almost all of them were heading down. It was a bit humid, but I just adjusted my pace some to keep from sweating too much. Once off of the White Dot Trail, I didn't see anyone else until I reached the summit. Going up the Spellman Trail was fun and conditions were good for it. There were a couple damp places, but not in the steepest areas where it would cause a problem.

Given the weather predictions, I didn't expect the sunset to be overly spectacular. There weren't many clouds for the colors to reflect off of and it was a bit hazy. As the sun went behind the clouds near the horizon, it appeared the sunset might be a bit of a bust. In fact, a family at the summit headed down at this point thinking just that. But as I talked with some other hikers, we noticed a break in the clouds above the horizon. This gave almost enough room to see the entire sun as it went down behind the horizon. While the colors weren't spectacular, this did make the sunset much improved. I wonder if the family watched as they descended and caught this or not.

On the way down I was able to go without my headlamp for nearly half of the descent. I put it on for the rockiest part of the White Cross Trail and left it on until I got to the car. At the park headquarters I was greeted by a barred owl up in the trees making a lot of noise as I got close. I was able to watch him with my headlamp for a while before I decided to leave him alone.

Brook crossing on the Cascade Link

Start to the steep section of the Spellman Trail

On the Pumpelly Ridge

Nearing sunset while climbing

The sun starting to go down behind the clouds

The sun coming down below the clouds

The last glimpse of the sun for the day

For all the pictures from the hike, just go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment